Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Governor's temporary ban on carrying guns in public meets resistance -Edge Finance Strategies
Will Sage Astor-Governor's temporary ban on carrying guns in public meets resistance
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 01:19:04
Emergency orders issued by New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham suspending the right to carry firearms in public in and Will Sage Astoraround Albuquerque are getting pushback from gun rights groups and some law enforcement officials and elected leaders.
Citing the recent shooting deaths of three children, including an 11-year-old boy gunned down outside a minor league baseball park last week, Grisham issued a 30-day ban on open and concealed carrying of firearms in her state's largest city and surrounding areas in Bernalillo County. The decree came a day after Lujan Grisham declared gun violence a statewide public health emergency, saying "the rate of gun deaths in New Mexico increased 43% from 2009 to 2018."
"When New Mexicans are afraid to be in crowds, to take their kids to school, to leave a baseball game -- when their very right to exist is threatened by the prospect of violence at every turn -- something is very wrong,” Lujan Grisham, a Democrat, said in a statement.
Following the governor's order issued Friday suspending the open and concealed carrying of firearms in public in Albuquerque and neighboring jurisdictions by anyone other than law enforcement and licensed security officers, a gun rights group took legal action. The National Association for Gun Rights and one of its members who lives in Albuquerque filed a lawsuit asking the court to block the implementation of Lujan Grisham's gun-carry ban, arguing it's a violation of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
"The Carry Prohibition infringes the rights of the people, including Plaintiffs, to keep and bear arms as protected by the Second Amendment. There are significant penalties for violations of the law," the gun rights group argued in court documents.
Lujan Grisham said the temporary gun ban would be enforced by the state police and violators would be subject to a fine of up to $5,000.
"Gun violence is an epidemic in America, and I’m done letting it be an epidemic anywhere in my state. Enough is enough," Lujan Grisham said.
Prior to issuing the executive orders, Lujan Grisham said she consulted with the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security, the state Department of Public Health and the state Department of Public Safety.
Two Republican state representatives, John Block and Stefani Lord, are calling for the governor to be impeached over the orders.
"This is an abhorrent attempt to impose a radical, progressive agenda on an unwilling populous," Lord said in a joint statement with Block, "Rather than addressing crime at its core, Governor Grisham is restricting the rights of law-abiding gun owners."
Lord added, "I have a newsflash for the Governor: The Second Amendment is an absolute right and so is my authority to impeach you for violating your oath to New Mexico and the United States."
Lujan Grisham said the temporary gun carry ban will not be enforced on private property. During a briefing, she said, “Responsible gun owners are certainly not our problem, have never been our problem."
Albuquerque Police Chief Harold Medina noted in a statement that it will be up to the state police to enforce the order, "not APD."
"Our officers at APD will continue to focus on the enforcement of criminal laws and arresting the criminals who are driving violent crime in the city," Medina said. "We have arrested over 200 murder suspects in the last two years and field officers are making dozens of felony arrests every day. Everyone is stepping up to keep Albuquerque residents safe from the influx of guns and illegal drugs."
Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen also issued a statement saying Lujan Grisham's order raises challenging constitutional issues.
"While I understand and appreciate the urgency, the temporary ban challenges the foundation of our constitution, which I swore an oath to uphold," Allen said. "I am wary of placing my deputies in positions that could lead to civil liability conflicts, as well as the potential risks posed by prohibiting law-abiding citizens from their constitutional right to self-defense."
Miranda Viscoli, co-president of New Mexicans to Prevent Gun Violence, praised Lujan Grisham's actions to curb gun violence, saying, "If it saves one life, then it’s worth doing."
Lujan Grisham said she felt the urgent need to act following three fatal shootings involving children since late July and two mass shootings in the state in May.
The governor signed the first order declaring gun violence a statewide public health emergency a day after 11-year-old Froylan Villegas was killed and his aunt critically wounded in a road rage shooting that erupted Wednesday night as the boy and his family were leaving a minor league baseball game at Albuquerque's Isotopes Park.
The shooting erupted when Villegas' aunt, who was driving, possibly cut off a vehicle as they left the park, prompting the assailant or assailants to unleash a barrage of 17 shots, according to police. No arrests have been announced.
On Aug. 14, 5-year-old Galilea Samaniego was killed in a drive-by shooting in Albuquerque when a bullet penetrated a trailer house and struck her while she was sleeping, police said. Three teenagers were arrested and charged with murder in the case.
On July 28, Amber Archuleta, 13, was fatally shot at a house in Questa, New Mexico, according to police. A 14-year-old boy was arrested in the shooting and charged with murder, police said.
Three people were fatally shot and six others were wounded on May 15 when 18-year-old Beau Wilson was alleged to have "randomly" opened fire at cars and homes in Farmington, New Mexico, with three different weapons, including an AR-15-style rifle, authorities said. Wilson was shot to death by police.
On May 27, three people were killed and five others were injured when a shootout erupted between two biker gangs at the annual Red River Memorial Day Motorcycle Rally in New Mexico, police said. The investigation of the shooting is continuing and one suspect has been arrested on a murder charge, according to police.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Massachusetts Senate passes bill aimed at outlawing “revenge porn”
- Gavin Rossdale Details Shame Over Divorce From Gwen Stefani
- Hermes lawsuit claims luxury retailer reserves its famed Birkin bags only for its biggest spenders
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- West Virginia man shot by 15-year-old son after firing weapon at wife
- Maryland House OKs budget bill with tax, fee, increases
- Why Jim Nantz isn't calling any March Madness games this year
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- What's next for Odell Beckham Jr.? Here's 5 options for the veteran superstar, free agent
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Emma Heming Willis Says Marriage to Bruce Willis Is “Stronger Than Ever” Amid Health Battle
- 'We were surprised': Intermittent fasting flagged as serious health risk
- Trump’s lawyers keep fighting $454M fraud appeal bond requirement
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Mortgage rates unlikely to dip after Fed meeting leaves rates unchanged
- Average long-term US mortgage rate climbs back to nearly 7% after two-week slide
- A Nashville guide for Beyoncé fans and new visitors: Six gems in Music City
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Albert the alligator was seized and his owner wants him back: What to know about the dispute
Ariana Grande, Ethan Slater and the Entire Wicked Cast Stun in New Photos
Dancing With the Stars' Peta Murgatroyd and Maks Chmerkovskiy Reveal Sex of Baby
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
NC State riding big man DJ Burns on its unlikely NCAA Tournament run this March Madness
Lisa Ann Walter would 'love' reunion with 'The Parent Trap' co-star Lindsay Lohan
Chipotle announces 50-for-1 stock split. Here's what investors need to know.