Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Edge Finance Strategies
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:18:52
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Catfish Host Kamie Crawford Leaving MTV Show After 6 Years
- As search for Helene’s victims drags into second week, sheriff says rescuers ‘will not rest’
- Scary new movies to see this October, from 'Terrifier 3' to 'Salem's Lot'
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- No, That Wasn't Jack Nicholson at Paris Fashion Week—It Was Drag Queen Alexis Stone
- The Daily Money: Is it time to refinance?
- Hurricane Helene Raises Questions About Raising Animals in Increasingly Vulnerable Places
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- 'Devastating consequences': Climate change likely worsened floods after Helene
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- On the road: Plenty of NBA teams mixing the grind of training camp with resort life
- 'Get out of here or die': Asheville man describes being trapped under bridge during Helene
- Abortion-rights groups are outraising opponents 8-to-1 on November ballot measures
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- On the road: Plenty of NBA teams mixing the grind of training camp with resort life
- Advocates urge Ohio to restore voter registrations removed in apparent violation of federal law
- Tia Mowry Sets the Record Straight on Relationship With Sister Tamera Mowry
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Supreme Court to weigh a Texas death row case after halting execution
Joe Jonas Has Cheeky Response to Fan Hoping to Start a Romance With Him
Port strike may not affect gas, unless its prolonged: See latest average prices by state
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Aces guards have been 'separation factor' last two postseasons. Now, they're MIA
Nikki Garcia's Sister Brie Garcia Sends Message to Trauma Victims After Alleged Artem Chigvintsev Fight
Olympian Suni Lee Calls Out MyKayla Skinner's Put Down to Gymnastics Team