Current:Home > ScamsJudge overseeing Trump documents case sets Aug. 14 trial date, but date is likely to change -Edge Finance Strategies
Judge overseeing Trump documents case sets Aug. 14 trial date, but date is likely to change
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 02:54:16
Washington — U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon has set an Aug. 14 start date for former President Donald Trump's trial in the case over his alleged mishandling of classified documents.
In a brief order issued Tuesday, Cannon said the criminal jury trial is set to take place over a two-week period beginning Aug. 14 at the federal district court in Fort Pierce, Florida. That date, however, is likely to change, as Trump's legal team files requests with the court that could result in the trial's delay.
The former president's lawyers are expected to file a motion to dismiss the case and could also seek to exclude evidence collected during the Justice Department's investigation. It's unclear, however, whether those efforts will be successful.
Cannon said in her order that any request to move the date of the trial must include details about the factors that constitute grounds for such action, and specifically noted the complexity of the case and the process to obtain security clearances. She set a July 24 deadline for Trump's lawyers and federal prosecutors to submit pre-trial motions.
Trump is facing 37 federal felony counts relating to his handling of sensitive government documents that were recovered from his South Florida property, Mar-a-Lago, after he left the White House in January 2021. He pleaded not guilty to all counts at his arraignment last week and was released on his own recognizance.
Trump's attorney did not immediately respond to request for comment.
The Justice Department's case against Trump is unprecedented, as it marks the first time federal charges have been brought against a former president. The indictment, which was returned by a federal grand jury earlier this month, stems from special counsel Jack Smith's investigation into Trump's alleged mishandling of classified documents.
The indictment charged Trump with 31 counts of willful retention of classified documents and one count each of conspiracy to obstruct justice, withholding a document or record, corruptly concealing a document or record, concealing a document in a federal investigation, scheme to conceal and making false statements and representations.
The former president is accused of holding on to 31 government documents relating to the national defense, nearly all of which had top secret or secret classification markings. According to the indictment, the records related to U.S. nuclear weaponry and military planning, as well as the military capabilities of other countries.
The 31 sensitive records were retrieved by federal officials on either June 3, 2022, when Trump's representatives turned them over in response to a grand jury subpoena, or Aug. 8, 2022, when the FBI executed a court-authorized search warrant at Mar-a-Lago.
Walt Nauta, an aide to Trump who served as a White House valet, was named as a co-conspirator.
veryGood! (347)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Massachusetts Senate unveils its version of major housing bill
- Boeing Starliner return delayed again for spacewalks, study of spacecraft issues
- West Virginia University to increase tuition about 5% and cut some programs
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Amazon teams up with Megan Thee Stallion to promote its 10th Prime Day sales event
- Video: Two people rescued after plane flying from Florida crashes into water in Turks and Caicos
- Tennessee is sued over law that criminalizes helping minors get abortions without parental approval
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Longest-serving Chicago City Council member gets 2 years in prison for corruption
Ranking
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- 'Beverly Hills Cop' star Judge Reinhold says 'executive murder plot' crushed career
- Tornado confirmed in Dublin, New Hampshire, as storms swept across New England on Sunday
- Things to know about dangerous rip currents and how swimmers caught in one can escape
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Savannah Chrisley Speaks Out After Mom Julie's 7-Year Prison Sentence Is Overturned
- 16-year-old Quincy Wilson to run men's 400m final tonight at U.S. Olympic trials
- 16-year-old Quincy Wilson to run men's 400m final tonight at U.S. Olympic trials
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Gun violence an 'urgent' public health crisis. Surgeon General wants warnings on guns
What is Saharan dust and how will a large wave of it heading for Florida affect storms?
Terrorist attacks in Russia's Dagestan region target church, synagogue and police, kill at least 19 people
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
When is Prime Day 2024? Amazon announces dates for summer sales event
What Euro 2024 games are today? England, France, Netherlands vie for group wins
North Carolina Senate approves spending plan adjustments, amid budget impasse with House